Wednesday, October 6, 2010

Stop Motion Animation of Falling



Stop-Motion Animation of Falling



This video was shot on 1's during the stretch. It seems a little fast, but I decided to include it.

Slow Motion of the Stop Motion


First, I decided right away that I wanted to do a stop motion animation involving me. I couldn't think of a more attractive and enthusiastic model to work with. I then began planning the Iron Man/Superman drop/flight by constructing a spacing chart that would create a believable fall from and flight back up to the apex. I then drew diagrams of what my body would look like during different phases of the drop.

I then enlisted my wife to start taking photos of me re-enacting the poses. Like this:

I then took the images into Photoshop and cleared all images of any background, leaving only me in the image, like this:
The image above has a motion blur applied to it to demonstrate speed and the animation principal of "stretch". I then used Photoshop to create the spacing guide and made 18 unique images. Those images were then imported into the animation software, Flipbook. I shot the animation on two's, and copied and pasted the clip so that it would repeat.

7 comments:

Jeanette Mckillop said...

OH MY GOD CARLOS!! effing awesome.

Alejandro Garcia said...

A-mazing! The shot is great and you made it even better with an interesting "making of" story.
Believability 12 of 12 points
Creativity 8 of 8 points
Total: 20 of 20 points

Alejandro Garcia said...

Plus 20 bonus points for being one of the top four stop-motion animations in the class. Good job!

carlosn said...

Wow!! Awesome!! Thanks a lot, Professor Garcia. It was a lot of hard work, but I had a blast working on this project.

Lucie Roberts said...

Totally awesome job Carlos! :)

Vân-Anh Christine Nguyen said...

i was wondering who won the bonus points... carlos you are insane!!! a well deserved win. :)

carlosn said...

Aww shucks guys. You're all making me blush.